This CD-Rom is the result of the valuable collaboration of various institutions
and researchers, to whom we are extremely grateful:
- CEPED, particularly André Quesnel, for his continuous support and encouragement
during the undertaking of this project, and in organizing the special session
during which the first version of this text was presented at the “25th
International Population Conference” organized by the International Union
for the Scientific Study of Population,” held in Tours, France,
in July 2005.
- Guadalupe Salas (Mexico) for her participation in the drafting of
the first version of the CD.
- Lucía Rayas, (Mexico) for her collaboration in the final
version of two chapters of the final version of the CD.
- Juan Carlos Hernández Lemus (Mexico) for his support and
commitment in drafting and copyediting some of the chapters in the
final version in Spanish.
- Our colleagues from various research centers, nongovernmental organizations
and foundations, both regional and national, that undertook diverse
activities linked to the issue of abortion in the countries in the
region. Their critical comments and suggestions for the first version
and in particular, their contributions in the form of documents, reviews
and information from their respective countries enabled the overview
offered in this publication to fully document the knowledge about this
issue in various countries in the region. We would also like to thank
them for their valuable collaboration in completing the bibliographical
reference base. We are particularly grateful to: Elsa López (Universidad de Buenos
Aires, Argentina), María Isabel Baltar de Rocha (Núcleo de Estudios
de Población, Unicamp, Brazil), Cristina Villarreal and Margoth Mora (Fundación
Oriéntame, Colombia), Maria Mercedes Lafaurie (Freelance Consultant, Colombia),
Luisa Álvarez (Instituto Nacional de Endocrinología, Cuba), Sonia
Catasus (Centro de Estudios Demográficos, Universidad de la Habana, Cuba),
Virginia Gómez (Fundación Desafío/CEPAM, Ecuador), Susheela
Sing (Guttmacher Institute, USA), Gail Pheterson (Social Science Faculty, University
of Picardie, Jules Verne, France), Regina Isabel Fonseca (Centro de Derechos
de la Mujer, Honduras), Leopoldo Núñez (Centro Regional de Investigaciones
Multidisciplinarias, UNAM, Mexico), Norma Ubaldi (Grupo de Información
en Reproducción Elegida, AC, México), Marta María Blandón
(Ipas, Nicaragua), Eyra Ruiz, Haydee Flores and Alba Mendoza (Centro de Investigaciones
en Reproducción Humana, Panamá), Yamila Azize (Saludpromujer/Escuela
de Medicina, Universidad de Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico), Ana Luisa Dávila
(Centro de Investigaciones Sociales, Universidad de Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico), Susana Rostagnol (Instituto de Antropología, FHCE, Universidad de la
República, Uruguay) and Susanna Rance (CIDES-IMSA y Universidad Mayor de San Andrés, La Paz, Bolivia).
- Pierre Chabert (France), for designing the bibliographical base
for which the “GenIsisCD” computer
program was used (CDS-ISIS documentary database publishing on
CD-ROM), distributed free by UNESCO.
- Stéphane Brabant (France) and Imedia (Senegal), for producing
the CD-ROM dummies and design: www.sbgraphik.com.
- A Lorena Hernández Muñoz and Ricardo González for the edition, the design
and the reproduction of the booklet that enclosed the CD-ROM
Documentalists and librarians Francoise Gubry
(Ceped, France), Isabelle Ambert (IRD, France), Camelia Romero (PIEM,
Mexico) for their support in the identification and selection of materials
from the various bibliographical bases on abortion. Special recognition
is due to Clotilde Tejeda (COLMEX, Mexico) who also revised and supervised
the search for the sources consulted and provided a list and full data
on the latter. We would also like to thank Claudia de Anda (Mexico)
for the classification of the materials consulted.
- Lina Bassarsky (France) and Mario Martínez (Mexico), for
their contribution in the final revision of the bibliographical reference
- Adriana Rosales and Dasha Fernández (Mexico), for their support
in the search for and elaboration of the materials used in some of
the chapters in the first version.
- María Isabel Heyser, Rodrigo José Parrini, Eufemio Franco and Olivia
Martínez (Mexico), for compiling the empirical evidence used
in the first version of various chapters.
- Mariana Cervantes, Mario Martínez and Diego Santana (Mexico),
for their collaboration in capturing the references from the bibliographical
- Daniel Ángel Correa Rojo for the photograph on the front
- Católicas por el Derecho a Decidir (Mexico) and Coordinación Regional Foro Red de Salud y Derechos Sexuales y Reproductivos Xa. Región de Los Lagos (Chile) for the photographs on the booklet.
- Juliette Bonaffé and Suzanne Stehphens (México) for
translating the texts in French and English, and Amanda Whitehead,
for revising and editing in English.
- Catherine Valton, IRD mapmaking service for producing the map.
- The publishers of the journals, bibliographical bases and documentation
centers quoted in the introduction for their authorization to use their
documentary sources and bibliographical bases.
- The Population Council, for giving us the opportunity to present
the first version of the CD at the “2nd Research Meeting on Unwanted Pregnancy and Unsafe
Abortion, Public Health Challenges in Latin America and the Caribbean,” held
in Mexico in August 2005.
- The Foreign Affairs Secretariat (DGCID, France) for their financial
support in undertaking this project.
FINALLY, WE DEDICATE THIS WORK TO ALL THE WOMEN OF LATIN AMERICA
AND THE CARIBBEAN