The Ceped is a multidisciplinary Joint Research Unit (Unité Mixte de Recherche) of the Université de Paris Cité and the French Institute for Research on Development.
It is a research unit specialized in the social sciences and development studies in the Global South.
The specificity of the unit is to conduct all of its research on the populations in the Global South with research partners in their own countries. The research focuses on the relationship between population and development in the Global South (Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Arab world), through three thematic orientations: “Health, Gender and Vulnerabilities in the South”; “Migration, Power, Development”; “Education and Knowledge in the South”. Its approach is interdisciplinary, mobilising demography, economics, law, geography, sociology, anthropology, public health and socio-linguistics, in partnership with research teams from the South.
The director is Rigas Arvanitis (IRD senior research) and deputy director is Carola Mick (associate professor at the University of Paris Cité).
Ceped is composed of
- 44 Researchers, Academics, and Engineers
- 16 Post-doctorates and Junior researchers
- 3 Research management
- 3 Research support
- 22 Project management
- 63 PhD Candidates of Ceped
- 15 Other PhD Candidates
- 5 Visiting researchers and PhD candidates
- 75 Associate researchers
Our research is focused on three specific areas:
- Health, vulnerabilities and gender relations in the Global South (team 1)
- Migration, Power, Development (area 2)
- Education and Knowledge in the Global South (team 3).
Ceped research is an interdisciplinary research centre drawing on demography, sociology, anthropology, political sciences and law, socio-linguistics, and economics.
We work in large research networks within the framework of networks and research institutes :
- the Fédération des Sciences Sociales au Sud (F3S) which brings together Ceped, CESSMA, CREDA, URMIS and SEDYL joint research units within Parisian Universities
- the Global Research Institute of Paris (GRIP) of the Université de Paris Cité (see more details here)
- The Institute Covid-19 Ad Memoriam of Université de Paris Cité
- IRD has been labelled as a WHO Collaborative Center for Research on Health and Humanitarian Policies and Practices thanks to the WHO Collaborative Center for Research on Health and Humanitarian Policies and Practices (C-CHAP) which is based at Ceped.
Ceped is a member of two collaborative Laboratories of Excellence :
- Labex SITES (coordinated by the IFRIS) in STS and science studies
- Labex (Laboratory of Excellence) IPOPS in demographics
- The Ceped has created observatories: such as MobElites, the Observatory of population densification in South and South-East Asia, the Regional Observatory of Maternal and Perinatal Health (InfoDos programme) ....
See details : The Universe of the Ceped
We are leading a Master’s degree programme in Social Sciences “Populations et development” at the Université de Paris.
– National Directory of Research Structures of France (RNSR): 200817718D