It is specialized in the social sciences and development studies in the Glocal South. The director is Rigas Arvanitis (IRD research director), and deputy director is Carola Mick (associate professor at the University of Paris).
The specificity of the unit is to conduct all of its research on the populations in the Global South with research partners in their own countries. The aim is to work on the transformations triggered by the globalisation processes which affect the structures, systems and norms of these societies, as well as the social practices and knowledge systems of their populations and social groups, particularly in the fields of education, migration and health.
Ceped is composed of
- 45 Researchers, Academics, and Engineers
- 20 Post-doctorates and Junior researchers
- 4 Research management
- 3 Research support
- 11 Project management
- 59 PhD Candidates of Ceped
- 14 Other PhD Candidates
- 66 Associate researchers
Our research is focussed on three specific areas:
- Health, vulnerabilities and gender relations in the Global South (team 1)
- Migration, Power, Development (area 2)
- Education and Knowledge in the Global South (team 3).
Ceped research is an interdisciplinary research centre, drawing on demography, law, sociology, anthropology, socio-linguistics, and economics.
We work in large research networks within the framework of networks and research institutes :
- the Fédération des Sciences Sociales au Sud (F3S) which brings together Ceped, CESSMA, CREDA, URMIS and SEDYL joint research units within Parisian Universities
- the Global Research Institute of Paris (GRIP) of the University of Paris (see more details here),
- IRD is labelled as a WHO Collaborative Center for Research on Health and Humanitarian Policies and Practices thanks to the WHO Collaborative Center for Research on Health and Humanitarian Policies and Practices (C-CHAP) which is based at Ceped.
Ceped is a member of two collaborative Laboratories of Excellence :
- Labex SITES (coordinated by the GIS IFRIS) in STS and sxceicne studies
- Labex (Laboratory of Excellence) IPOPS in demographics
- The Ceped has created observatories: such as MobElites, the Observatory of population densification in South and South-East Asia, the Regional Observatory of Maternal and Perinatal Health (InfoDos programme) ....
See details : The Universe of the Ceped
We are leading a Master’s degree programme in Social Sciences “Populations et development” at the Université de Paris.
National Directory of Research Structures of France (RNSR): 200817718D